New poll: What don't you like?

Looking for something fun to do? Some nice entertainment centers, clubs and restaurants, etc? Or you just want to chat about fun stuffs to do anywhere in Jiangsu? Post your message here!

What annoys you the most when you are in Jiangsu? Choose up to two from below:

Bad drivers
16%
Be called a foreigner
8%
Dirty toilet
20%
Haggling
2%
Jaywalkers
2%
Loud talkers
5%
No Good Morning or Good Bye
2%
No home central heating
5%
Pollution
13%
Spitting
18%
Theft
5%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1082

Re: New poll: What don't you like?

Postby simei » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:53 am

Guest wrote:The squatting toilets in my opinion are more sanitary in public areas. I was in a Tokyo airport and they used those.

I prefer the squatting toilets to the sitting toilets. I agree with you.
simei
Zijue / Viscount

Postby jwhahn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 am

simei wrote:
Guest wrote:The squatting toilets in my opinion are more sanitary in public areas. I was in a Tokyo airport and they used those.

I guess people like whichever way that they are accustomed to. Personally, I prefer the sitting ones but I can't imagine having sitting-type toilets in some of the public places due to the hygene issues :(
jwhahn
Gongjue / Duke

Postby simei » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:04 pm

jwhahn wrote:
simei wrote:

I guess people like whichever way that they are accustomed to. Personally, I prefer the sitting ones but I can't imagine having sitting-type toilets in some of the public places due to the hygene issues :(

:lol: Yes, we prefer the sitting toilet in home. but in the public places, Maybe everyone prefer the squatting toilets because it is more hygeian, right?
simei
Zijue / Viscount

Postby Bloo Dog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:17 pm

I suspect that at least SOME of the responses are from the same people. The same poor spelling occurs frequently.

Jiangsu was quite nice. I lived there for two years not knowing any Chinese. I got by quite well. Because Jiangsu has modernized so quickly, and because there are so many upper-tier schools there, many many people speak English.

Yes, the air pollution can be bad. The summers are h3ll. Winter is relatively short, spring and the moderation of the weather particularly long, and winter is, well, winter. The schools and class rooms are (generally) unheated. The Chinese take this in stride. If the locals can live with the inconvenience, the tourist should be able to as well.

Those who complain about the madness of the traffic haven't lived in China long enough to learn to adapt. Any westerner who would attempt to DRIVE in China is asking for trouble.

My experience with the people of Jiangsu is that they are warm-hearted, accepting, and curious about "laowai" (foreigners).

The cuisine is Huaiangese, a very spicy, rich, and diverse collection of dishes ranging from locusts (the fried ones are the best), to several types of fish (blackfish being my favorite), and the ubiquitous hotpot. Try it all. (Yes, you may pass on the locusts).

Ride a city bus several times and find out about the REAL China. Open your heart and mind and your eyes, and you will be amazed .

Complainers: Stay home. Nine out of ten western visitors I meet on the streets IMMEDIATELY begin to complain about everything. Get over it or go home.

REALLY.
Bloo Dog

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:18 pm

jwhahn wrote:
simei wrote:

The "sitting" toilet is commonly referred to as a WESTERN toilet. I wonder about some of the participants in this discussion.

Postby Bloo Dog » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:05 am

jwhahn wrote:
kwow_it wrote:One more category: I saw a couple of times that parents let their kids, girls or boys, pee in street, in subway, in front of a mansion!... scummy parents...really annoying!

Those parents should be educated in the first place.

Some folks should be educated about cultural differences. If you want western culture why in #@!!*& do you go to China?

China isn't Europe, Australia, New Zealand or the U.S., so get over it.
Bloo Dog

Postby Bloo Dog » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:08 am

view from jiangsu wrote:The social unrest of the Dynastic periods, particularly the last, and the people's evolution into the "post Dynasty-style of government" brings with it the same unknowing as well as pernicious vulnerability and fear, so obvious in the previous feudal systems of China. As 1.3 billion people are vastly uneducated,at least to any "functional" point of governmental knowledge, the tools for change are incredibly limited. That is enhanced and "enforced" by the actions of those who develope the new "relationships", but hoard the benefit of such "alliances" formed out of leadership. To that end I am not really so amazed that in such a large population, with such fierce competition typically seen elsewhere in the world for "goods and services", that we do not see a large trend toward violence (sic) as we have known to exist in all other civilizations known to mankind. Today, the education that is provided in the "new" China is so limited and carefully crafted that no one person receives any "dangerous" proportion of knowledge, thus assuring the perpetuity of "traditional" lifestyles (and hygenic practices).

**yawn**
Bloo Dog

Postby Bloo Dog » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:14 am

There should be another entry to the list things not to like about Jiangsu: COMPLAINING WESTERNERS.

I severed ties with westerners after my first year. Guess what? Life is so much more pleasant now.
Bloo Dog

Postby liveuk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:01 am

Bloo Dog wrote:There should be another entry to the list things not to like about Jiangsu: COMPLAINING WESTERNERS.

I severed ties with westerners after my first year. Guess what? Life is so much more pleasant now.

Complaining is not a bad thing actually. It stimulates potential restructuring and future improvements. That's why there is always a customer service setting up in all public or private sectors to accept complaints, from manufactures to shops, stores, even government agencies.... So situation gets much better the next time.
Last edited by liveuk on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
liveuk
Houjue / Marquess

Postby Moose » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 am

I have lived here for 2 years, and I walk a lot. The noise level and nearly being run down by bicycles, scooters and motor cycles on sidewalks are unbearable; hence, I am leaving. Then there is the pollution. Why are laws never enforced here?
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Lifestyle and recreation