New poll: What don't you like?

Looking for something fun to do? Some nice entertainment centers, clubs and restaurants, etc? Or you just want to chat about fun stuffs to do anywhere in Jiangsu? Post your message here!

What annoys you the most when you are in Jiangsu? Choose up to two from below:

Bad drivers
16%
Be called a foreigner
8%
Dirty toilet
20%
Haggling
2%
Jaywalkers
2%
Loud talkers
5%
No Good Morning or Good Bye
2%
No home central heating
5%
Pollution
13%
Spitting
18%
Theft
5%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1082

Re: New poll: What don't you like?

Postby foreignexpat » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 pm

I have been travelling to Malaysia, Singapore, thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and finally living in Nantong for 3 years, spitting, bad drivers, dirty toilets, shouting, unhygienic food, cheating ....etc, there is no improvement at all. Why the local government unable to change? Because the people never appreciate government efforts to change the city, and the people are forming part of the government, spend great deal of building "relationship" for the purpose of achieving ones benefit, not for the society. The government is very careful not to make any significant change, otherwise the people will spit and shout even more, more agitation, more stealing of public facilities, etc since they unable to keep up the change. This is part of their china culture, their pattern of behaviour has been formed from the long history of social unrest. Their low income per capita, history of social unrest, pattern of behaviour make them struggling for their indiviudual benefits.
foreignexpat

Postby view from jiangsu » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 am

The social unrest of the Dynastic periods, particularly the last, and the people's evolution into the "post Dynasty-style of government" brings with it the same unknowing as well as pernicious vulnerability and fear, so obvious in the previous feudal systems of China. As 1.3 billion people are vastly uneducated,at least to any "functional" point of governmental knowledge, the tools for change are incredibly limited. That is enhanced and "enforced" by the actions of those who develope the new "relationships", but hoard the benefit of such "alliances" formed out of leadership. To that end I am not really so amazed that in such a large population, with such fierce competition typically seen elsewhere in the world for "goods and services", that we do not see a large trend toward violence (sic) as we have known to exist in all other civilizations known to mankind. Today, the education that is provided in the "new" China is so limited and carefully crafted that no one person receives any "dangerous" proportion of knowledge, thus assuring the perpetuity of "traditional" lifestyles (and hygenic practices).
view from jiangsu

Postby filis » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:17 am

view from jiangsu wrote:The social unrest of the Dynastic periods, particularly the last, and the people's evolution into the "post Dynasty-style of government" brings with it the same unknowing as well as pernicious vulnerability and fear, so obvious in the previous feudal systems of China. As 1.3 billion people are vastly uneducated,at least to any "functional" point of governmental knowledge, the tools for change are incredibly limited. That is enhanced and "enforced" by the actions of those who develope the new "relationships", but hoard the benefit of such "alliances" formed out of leadership. To that end I am not really so amazed that in such a large population, with such fierce competition typically seen elsewhere in the world for "goods and services", that we do not see a large trend toward violence (sic) as we have known to exist in all other civilizations known to mankind. Today, the education that is provided in the "new" China is so limited and carefully crafted that no one person receives any "dangerous" proportion of knowledge, thus assuring the perpetuity of "traditional" lifestyles (and hygenic practices).

Very interesting explanation of the issue. However, it is quite counterproductive today to block the dissemination of information by way of, for instance, education, because information is what is driving various advances socially, economically and technologically. Thus, the attempt to preserve traditional lifestyles might never succeed.
filis

Postby starking73 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:42 am

China's traditional squatting toilets will still certainly last for many years, as they are widespread almost in every corner. Its economically imbalanced poor countryside in total would be no way to change in coming decades.
starking73
Baijue / Earl

Postby liveuk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 pm

It wouldn’t be difficult to accept sitting toilet if people know that the modern water closet is one of the greatest inventions in human history.

I've remembered that in 2000 from the tomb of a king of the Western Han Dynasty, unearthed by Chinese archaeologists, an antique latrine with a near 2,000-year-old toilet complete with running water, a stone seat and a comfortable armrest was discovered. Therefore, China flushed Britain's claims to have invented the water closet, which is widely attributed to London plumber Thomas Crapper, who patented a U-bend siphoning system for flushing the pan in the later 19th century, and who also installed toilets for the Queen Victoria.

In somewhere, I am not sure, the water flush toilet is listed as one of the 100(20?????) of the greatest inventions in the modern human history.
liveuk
Houjue / Marquess

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:48 pm

Guest wrote:toilet! let me repeat, the toilet is the worst!!!!! especially those public ones where you have to crouch. my legs hurts!!

If it were the sitting type trust me you'd be even less inclined to use it.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:50 pm

The squatting toilets in my opinion are more sanitary in public areas. I was in a Tokyo airport and they used those.

Postby jwhahn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:toilet! let me repeat, the toilet is the worst!!!!! especially those public ones where you have to crouch. my legs hurts!!

If it were the sitting type trust me you'd be even less inclined to use it.

how and why?? do you mean people make the sitting toilet even dirtier?
jwhahn
Gongjue / Duke

Postby t101 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:21 am

theft. and sometimes killing! how could it happen for Diana O'Brien's death, a canadian model?! just for a laptop and a bunch of canadian coins then destoy a life! the senseless killing! but the killer even had not known the modern technology has invented a surveillance camaro and finally cought him in just a few days later!!
t101

Postby sss » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:14 pm

homicide occurs all of the world..
sss

PreviousNext

Return to Lifestyle and recreation