The national week is arriving

Looking for something fun to do? Some nice entertainment centers, clubs and restaurants, etc? Or you just want to chat about fun stuffs to do anywhere in Jiangsu? Post your message here!

The national week is arriving

Postby iamsaying1 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:50 am

October 1-3 are the National Day holidays in China. In practice, public sectors and most companies would add two consecutive weekends together, one weekend (Saturday and Sunday) before the National Day and one weekend after, making it a week long holiday. People call it the "Golden Week". It is absolutely a wonderful time for traveling, especially, for expats.

Make sure to ask your institution or company for its calendar and discuss with your family or friends to make a plan. Don't forget to book your tickets/rental reservation in advance.
iamsaying1
Houjue / Marquess

Re: The national week is arriving

Postby jj » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:51 pm

thanks for the info. a little note to add to this: this might be the LAST golden week because it might be cancelled in the future by the administration as it seems to be detrimental to the economy according to numerous official debates
jj

Postby tmhshine » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:33 pm

I arrived Jiangsu this year and want to know how difficunt it is to find a hotel during the golden week. Any info is appreciated.
tmhshine

Postby bill » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:25 pm

with my experience, it is very difficult. it is almost hopeless to get a good hotel room for a walk-in customer but it does depend on the city you arrive at. it is better to make an early reservation.
bill
Zijue / Viscount

Postby elainenl » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:31 am

do i need to carry my passport for traveling from huaian to nanjing and staying there during the national days? thanks for your ideas.
elainenl

Postby iamsaying1 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:01 am

elainenl wrote:do i need to carry my passport for traveling from huaian to nanjing and staying there during the national days? thanks for your ideas.

You are not required to bring your passport with you if you do not board an airplane or check in at a hotel. Otherwise you'll have to bring it with you. Be advised to keep your documents in a safe place. Leave a copy home in case they might be lost.
iamsaying1
Houjue / Marquess

Postby iamsaying1 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:15 am

Finally, the National Day holidays have arrived. Have a wonderful trip, and find a good place to watch the fireworks somewhere in the cities!
iamsaying1
Houjue / Marquess

Postby weston.nathan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:23 am

Finally, the national week is over! Back to work today.

As far as I'm concerned, a popular Chinese holiday means time to curl up in my apartment with a good book and STAY IN. (Which is a great idea unless you really enjoy mobs of people ... I find this aspect of Chinese culture really, really intimidating. :| )
weston.nathan
Nanjue / Baron

Postby vvvox » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:03 am

you need to get out and make friends!!! when I first came to Suzhou, Jiangsu (I am now in Shanghai), I had the same problem. the people are all over the place almost everywhere i go, and i have major difficulty deciphering what they say, so the experience is very intimidating. i did know several very good chinese friends who showed me around and introduced me to their friends and stuffs..i also joined expat activities during my spare time to get to know others who were on the same boat!! so, Nathon, the bottom line is that you need to get out more!

by the way, what kind of job you got?

weston.nathan wrote:Finally, the national week is over! Back to work today.

As far as I'm concerned, a popular Chinese holiday means time to curl up in my apartment with a good book and STAY IN. (Which is a great idea unless you really enjoy mobs of people ... I find this aspect of Chinese culture really, really intimidating. :| )
vvvox

Postby skinnykiwi1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:30 am

Fantastic! we have 8 days for this year's golden October week. Where are you going or are you staying home?
skinnykiwi1
Houjue / Marquess

Next

Return to Lifestyle and recreation