Chinese is so hard to learn

Looking for something fun to do? Some nice entertainment centers, clubs and restaurants, etc? Or you just want to chat about fun stuffs to do anywhere in Jiangsu? Post your message here!

Re: Chinese is so hard to learn

Postby smithson » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:27 am

I suggest you find or hire a mandarin language tutor for a couple of months then sign up for a school. Really depend on how good you want your communication skills to be.
smithson

Postby jwhahn » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:43 am

jennwfinch wrote:Do you have some better ways to learn Chinese?

A free way to practice your Mandarin. Some local Mandarin speakers look English speakers to learn English. As a return, you can learn Mandarin from them. Depend on how you like this way but you can alway try it. A lot of schools provide diverse Mandarin courses, beginner to intermediate levels in oral classes.
jwhahn
Gongjue / Duke

Postby rob » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:50 am

For language exchange with locals, you have to know that the dialect local people use is different with the standard language, Putonghua. In Jiangsu, for most cities or towns, local people speak a kind of dialect other people have trouble to understand. Finally you might waste lots of time. In my case, I asked my language partner to talk to me in Putonghua, the standard Mandarin. He did that for me.
rob

Postby mtig » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:59 am

yes, ask your colleagues and partners to talk to you in PUTONGHUA!!! save your time.
mtig

Postby CW » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:07 pm

I went through the first eleven lessons of a (20 lesson) self-study book (oral and pinyin, no hanzi) and will test what I learned during a business trip to Nanjing 14.-19.4.2008. I wonder if anyone will understand me... (Wo xue le yidian zhongwen... wo de zhongwen bu hao... Ni shuo YINGWEN ma? ... or better: DEWEN)

Greetings from Europe!
CW

Postby jwhahn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:23 am

no problem, I can understand what you typed. Perfect. However, when you pronounce, this might be a different story.

Good luck!
jwhahn
Gongjue / Duke

Postby MTLBAE » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:04 am

Has anyone used Rosetta Stone Chinese language course? Or do you have any other recommendations for beginners?
Thank You,
MTLBAE
Indiana USA
MTLBAE

Postby jwhahn » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:48 pm

I learned my Mandarin in Nanjing using a different textbook but not Rosetta Stone Madarin book. I guess if you are out of China, Rosetta Stone may be a regular software for students.
jwhahn
Gongjue / Duke

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:12 am

MTLBAE wrote:Has anyone used Rosetta Stone Chinese language course? Or do you have any other recommendations for beginners?
Thank You,
MTLBAE
Indiana USA

where do you get Rosetta Stone course?

Postby MTLBAE » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:49 am

Hello,

You can purchase Rosetta Stone on-line at:
http://www.rosettastone.com/

MTLBAE
Indiana~USA
MTLBAE