fitness classes (pilates/yoga/dance)...any chance??

Looking for something fun to do? Some nice entertainment centers, clubs and restaurants, etc? Or you just want to chat about fun stuffs to do anywhere in Yangzhou? Post your message here!

fitness classes (pilates/yoga/dance)...any chance??

Postby sunflower » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:09 am

Hello all

I am planning to move to Yangzhou from the UK. I understand its a quieter place than some Chinese cities but was hoping to find some fun things to do whilst there.

I like to stay healthy but I don't really like gyms as such (weights/running machines aren't for me). I currently do a few fitness classes (yoga, pilates, salsa) and swim lengths in the pool a couple of times a week.

Are there any such classes in Yangzhou? Would they be suitable for an english-speaking westerner? And are swimming pools divided up for people to swim lengths or not?

If anyone could give me info, prices, membership etc I'd be grateful.

Of course if they don't have the classes I'm used to I may have to try Tai Chi...is this considered to be for older people (I'm 27)? Is it easy for newbies to pick up? also are Chinese people into dancing at all (from what I hear they prefer karaoke but I don't sing!) or what activities should I consider?

thanks
sunflower
Esquire

Re: fitness classes (pilates/yoga/dance)...any chance??

Postby alexss » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:37 am

I don't think you can find classes of yoga, pilates, salsa, in Yangzhou. Taichi is availabel but I am not sure if you can get a master who could teach you in English. Swimming is available but I don't know the address.
alexss
Gongjue / Duke

Postby jwhahn » Sun May 20, 2012 8:56 pm

MikeBension wrote:This world is more conscious about its health and fitness. People are spending lots of money to stay healthy and happy. Women want to look good and attractive so they don’t want to get fat. Heavy weight women get obsession of loosing weight. They rush to women’s only gym mn. Gym is the only way to stay fit in life. Everyone is busy in their life so they have to take out some time to exercise. Some times exercising in gym is quite boring. Spending 1 or 2 hr in gym is very hard.

...untill you got a health problem..........., but you may be too late to fix it. :)
jwhahn
Gongjue / Duke

Postby Doubletrouble » Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 pm

If you work out what the chinese characters are for yoga you will find alot of schools. If you know some chinese ladies, they can perhaps help too. I have been doing yoga here for years- no english speaking teachers- you dont really need them to. Hope you can find something. If we have them here Im sure you have them. Our top "school" is 500 rmb a month or 2800 a year.
The pool is bought on concession card or membership- about the same price. Most people go just to swim laps- there is a holiday programme to teach 6yr+ kids to swim- here is about 700rmb
Doubletrouble
Zijue / Viscount

Postby Jshields » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Did you find any classes as I just moved to Yangzhou and have been looking for classes with no luck, if you found any could you let me know?

Jo
Jshields
Esquire

Postby alexss » Fri May 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Public indoor pools are cheaper but I am not sure if it can be found in YZ. Some outdoor pools don't raise the water temperature to 30C.
alexss
Gongjue / Duke

Return to Lifestyle and recreation