Where do the foreigners hang out?

Talk about anything you want here! Anything about Yangzhou, Jiangsu, or about China, about life and about whatever! Feel free to share your views and opinions!

Where do the foreigners hang out?

Postby instantkarma » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Well hello

My name is Alan, make that Australian Alan and I'm new to Yangzhou though I've been in Nantong, China for 5 months. This time I'm teaching English at Web, in Nantong it was Business & Accountancy at the Voc. College

Where do the foreigners hang out? Which bars, coffee lounges, rugby union or other sports matches, meetings, political rallies (sorry forgot where I was for a moment).

I am married to a lovely Chinese woman but sometimes I need some native speakers. In Nantong it was at bars or rugby union matches. And there were bars and dives.

Not a huge drinker (too old for that) but being Australian I can down a few pejos (phonetic license) , not looking to pick-up chics (seriously married) and not looking for illegal highs - just want to talk to someone who really knows what Forest Gump or Bob Dylan or Oscar Wilde are all about.

Thanks (in advance, spur of the moment or retrospect or any combination of these).

Alan
instantkarma
Esquire

Re: Where do the foreigners hang out?

Postby abbasidanyal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Alan,

I don't know where the foreigners hang out but I'm new to Yangzhou and I'm keen to meet other English speakers, as I don't speak a word of Chinese and I'm starting to feel it!

I've taken a job teaching English at Shane English School. Its my first teaching job, and its going pretty well so far. Previously, I was in Glasgow. I did a degree in English Lit at the University there.

Can I interest you in going for a drink with a complete stranger? It could be awkward, but like Momma always said, life is like a box of chocolates and you never know what you're gonna get.

Danny
abbasidanyal
Qishi / Knight

Postby danielzhangyp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 pm

i guess the Living Mall in the west end of the city is where you can find many foreigners hanging around. How is glasgow? I will go there for Ph.D study this year if the competition of scholarships goes well.
danielzhangyp

Postby KPT » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 am

danielzhangyp wrote:i guess the Living Mall in the west end of the city is where you can find many foreigners hanging around. How is glasgow? I will go there for Ph.D study this year if the competition of scholarships goes well.

Best of luck! :)
KPT
Houjue / Marquess

Postby guest » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 am

Hello there,
I have seen some foreiners in 1912 area ( there is a Soho dance bar and near Jackey's cafe has even menu in English ( Hong- Kong goose there is the best ;) ).

Postby yangz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:48 pm

The Old Brewery at 1912
yangz

Postby sdseddiem » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:48 pm

There is an excellent female singing band at the Old Brewery. It's worth going.
sdseddiem
Qishi / Knight

Postby rogervdh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't suppose The Old Brewery shows NFL games on television, does it?
rogervdh

Postby sdseddiem » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:56 pm

My friends and I go to a club in the 1912 area called Scarlett. Lots of beautiful Chinese women, music and dancing. Beer is 30 rmb and everyone is very friendly and usually a bit drunk. :lol:
sdseddiem
Qishi / Knight

Postby kylz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 am

Anyway back to the foregners hanging out......

I work for Yucai and we have 7 teachers here....
i know of a couple of guys that want to play sport, but there is a lack of in Yangzhou...

I have lived here for two years, and probably going to be a lot longer.

Yeah 1912 is the party spot.....there used to be alot more bars..but they weren't
as popular as the clubs so they're gone now....

there is a popular bar(or it used to be popular not sure now)
near the stadium called Jay Jay's which is more of a hang out, quieter and pool table...

starbucks you'll probably always catch a foreigner...thats in living mall...
also a new coffee shop has opened closer to down town now, Gloria Jeans,
which is not as good as starbucks and pretty much the same price but it is closer ..

we hang out there some days at lunch and have chinese lessons, or i have a japanese lesson etc..
its a good quiet place for having private lessons.

there is not many other places here that i know of really....
hope it helps...
kylz

Next

Return to Discussion and chat