New french guy in Yangzhou

Talk about anything you want here! Anything about Yangzhou, Jiangsu, or about China, about life and about whatever! Feel free to share your views and opinions!

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby anitavanderwolf » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:58 am

Hi,
I'm Anita, an Australian-Yangzhou girl who is 26 yrs old. I'm going back to my hometown Yangzhou on 15/11/09 and would like to meet some friends.
anitavanderwolf
Nanjue / Baron
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:52 am

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby Ivan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:26 pm

anitavanderwolf wrote:Hi,
I'm Anita, an Australian-Yangzhou girl who is 26 yrs old. I'm going back to my hometown Yangzhou on 15/11/09 and would like to meet some friends.

Hi, I'm Ivan from Ukraine, just arrive one weak ago, try to find some place for Saturday evening, maybe you can help me with this.
Ivan
 

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby Yangzhou Chicka » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Hey, I'm a foreigner who has been living in Yangzhou for 2 years. I live at a school with about 20 other foreigners (possibly the largest group altogether in Yangzhou). Seeing other foreigners in Yangzhou is very rare but they do exist. At Yangzhou University, there are several Europeans studying Chinese and I've previously met a few Indian girls at the medical school. The school I am teaching at is mostly North Americans but there do exist some Australians. Around town, you'll find many people have been imported to work in the trades as Yangzhou has a burgeoning industrial sector. There are many Americans, eastern Europeans and middle easterners working in the shipping and engineering sectors. Asides from the foreigners not at the large school where I teach and the university, foreigners can be found but they are rare, small groups. 1912 is a good section to meet foreigners (The Old Brewery restaurant, a relatively expensive western restaurant, and Soho Night Club are in this district) as is any expensive western restaurant and the Starbucks in the west end of Yangzhou (slightly out of town). I say all this because many people in Yangzhou do not speak English and there are very few signs in English. Making a foreign friend to show you where you can buy your basics and eat without getting food poisoning is key to surviving in this city because without this information, it seems like just another drab, grey, polluted place.

Overall, Yangzhou is ok but can be very boring and you will likely be dying to leave for civilization every few weeks but luckily Shanghai isn't too far and there's a direct overnight train to Beijing. There isn't much to do in Yangzhou except visit gardens, shop or go to karaoke. The shopping is pretty bad (goods are of cheap quality) and the local food can be horrendous if you don't know where to eat. The people can be nice but don't understand how rude it is to stare at someone so get used to having your picture taken unwillingly. Be prepared to deal with lots of people who want to be your "friend"-- I get harassed constantly by people cornering me into giving out my phone number so they can practice their English and it's very annoying. Good luck!
Yangzhou Chicka
 

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby Handball in China » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:16 am

Hey!

Great to find out about this forum and to see that they are some expats in Yangzhou :)

Have you guys heard about the Women Handball World Championship this weekend?

Anyone keen to come and watch some games?

I'm coming over from Seoul tomorrow morning and would be happy to meet some of you there.

Especially if you're from France as I will be with the French team to support them!

So don't hesitate to txt me if you're interested. My Chinese cellphone should be working from Sunday morning onward.

Phone : +86 13520496314.

Cheers.
SEB
--
Handball in China
www.handballinchina.org
Handball in China
 

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby swirljem » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Yangzhou Chicka wrote:The shopping is pretty bad (goods are of cheap quality) and the local food can be horrendous if you don't know where to eat.

I've been living in YZ for 4 years and despite all the big supermarkets they have I still cannot buy decent ground beef anywhere! Recently the supermarket underground at the Living Mall has changed to a Century Mart and there is a somewhat better Imported Food section. I have passed by but not shop there yet.
YZ is a slow developing town, but there are upcoming things worth waiting for like the Shangri-La Hotel, Lippo Mall (near West side Bus Station) and ultimately Yangzhou-Taizhou Airport.
swirljem
Qishi / Knight
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Yangzhou

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby anitavanderwolf » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:17 pm

:D
anitavanderwolf
Nanjue / Baron
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:52 am

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby Yangzhou Chicka » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:07 pm

swirljem wrote:
Yangzhou Chicka wrote:The shopping is pretty bad (goods are of cheap quality) and the local food can be horrendous if you don't know where to eat.

I've been living in YZ for 4 years and despite all the big supermarkets they have I still cannot buy decent ground beef anywhere! Recently the supermarket underground at the Living Mall has changed to a Century Mart and there is a somewhat better Imported Food section. I have passed by but not shop there yet.
YZ is a slow developing town, but there are upcoming things worth waiting for like the Shangri-La Hotel, Lippo Mall (near West side Bus Station) and ultimately Yangzhou-Taizhou Airport.



There is ground beef in Yangzhou! A teacher here found it a few weekends ago. I believe he got it at Auschan, the French supermarket near the university, or hidden at the east Da Ran Fa. But it does exist in one of those two places because we do not buy meat anywhere else. Also, recently discovered a lady who makes spring roll tortillas that can double as tortillas for burritos or fajitas. Delicious! As soon as I find her phone number, I'll post it on here. What's the Lippo mall? I haven't heard about the plans for the airport either. Yangzhou does introduce new things daily but it seems they often shut down as fast as they are made. The Century Mart foreign foods section is sadly disappointing. Previously, when it was the L-Mart, their section was fantastic, they just never restocked it. Now it has become a Century Mart with the same foreign items that can be found at the Da and other large supermarkets. I highly recommend Auschan though. If you go into the foreign food section where the pastas are, buy their caramel chocolate bars. They're exactly like Twix bars!
Yangzhou Chicka
 

Re: New french guy in Yangzhou

Postby alexss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 am

Yangzhou Chicka wrote:
swirljem wrote:
Yangzhou Chicka wrote:The shopping is pretty bad (goods are of cheap quality) and the local food can be horrendous if you don't know where to eat.

I've been living in YZ for 4 years and despite all the big supermarkets they have I still cannot buy decent ground beef anywhere! Recently the supermarket underground at the Living Mall has changed to a Century Mart and there is a somewhat better Imported Food section. I have passed by but not shop there yet.
YZ is a slow developing town, but there are upcoming things worth waiting for like the Shangri-La Hotel, Lippo Mall (near West side Bus Station) and ultimately Yangzhou-Taizhou Airport.



There is ground beef in Yangzhou! A teacher here found it a few weekends ago. I believe he got it at Auschan, the French supermarket near the university, or hidden at the east Da Ran Fa. But it does exist in one of those two places because we do not buy meat anywhere else. Also, recently discovered a lady who makes spring roll tortillas that can double as tortillas for burritos or fajitas. Delicious! As soon as I find her phone number, I'll post it on here. What's the Lippo mall? I haven't heard about the plans for the airport either. Yangzhou does introduce new things daily but it seems they often shut down as fast as they are made. The Century Mart foreign foods section is sadly disappointing. Previously, when it was the L-Mart, their section was fantastic, they just never restocked it. Now it has become a Century Mart with the same foreign items that can be found at the Da and other large supermarkets. I highly recommend Auschan though. If you go into the foreign food section where the pastas are, buy their caramel chocolate bars. They're exactly like Twix bars!

thanks a lot for providing valuable information for expats :D
User avatar
alexss
Gongjue / Duke
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Management Institutes in Pune

Postby MET » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:14 pm

nice posting..........its always great reading such posts, this post is good in regards of both knowledge as well as information.
MET
 

Business process outsourcing company

Postby MGS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Thank you for another informative post! You are saving me a boat load of research time, I appreciate your efforts.
MGS
 

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion and chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron