Friends and women in Yangzhou

Talk about anything you want here! Anything about Yangzhou, Jiangsu, or about China, about life and about whatever! Feel free to share your views and opinions!

Friends and women in Yangzhou

Postby dbozam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:37 am

Please read on... this is not an attempt to gloat, only an attempt to discern the sociability of yangzhou locals...

I have been to Guiyang, Guizhou, China two times for a combined total of over a month. In Guiyang, I only have to walk down the street or into a bar for people to notice me and as easily as asking how much a drink costs or dancing for 2 minutes I would have people giving me free drinks and phone numbers to be my friend. On multiple occasions, guys and girls both would PULL me to their tables, even if I am with mixed company, to drink and talk with them or their friends. Being with them, because I am American, was like a status symbol.

Guiyang locals would call out "hello" or "nice to meet you" while passing in the street or sitting at a restaurant, making it easy to start conversations.

The first night I was there, the first bar I walked into... within 30 minutes I was dancing and tongue-jousting with the most beautiful girl present and, later that night, I went home with a different girl.

I am a 27 year old male who has been through europe, america, and south america on various tourist trips and I have never seriously considered moving to any of the countries that I have visited. After my time in Guiyang, I am contemplating jobs in China and one of the opportunities is in Yangzhou, but I am curious, will I be able to make friends as easily in Yangzhou as I have described was possible in Guiyang.

Does stuff like this happen in Yangzhou or are expats treated with disdain, dismissed by locals, and have to struggle to make friends with locals?

(if this does not happen, you may want to check out Guiyang; french, german, and dutch expats of all ages were socializing in bars with locals and, in an entire week in the city of millions, I saw only 4 other non-asians. I fell in love with China based on my experience there and I wonder if, perhaps, I did not have a representative experience.)
dbozam

Re: Friends and women in Yangzhou

Postby Mustafa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:40 am

I am living in China since 20 years and worked in different places.
Guiyang is not Yangzhou.
In southern China everybody is interested to talk to a foreighner in hope to learn some words or to get some benefits but in Yangzhou they do not need you, so you will be left almost alone.
Mustafa

Re: Friends and women in Yangzhou

Postby alexss » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:17 am

In general, locals welcome foreigners and it is a safe city to stay. In recent years more foreigners come from German, French...etc and more foreign restaurants/bars
alexss
Gongjue / Duke

Return to Discussion and chat