Nantong to Shanghai

Post a question about Jiangsu, its cities, its culture and any other stuffs you want to know!

Nantong to Shanghai

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Hello
We will be visiting Nantong for a meeting (We are from Australia) and need to return to Shanghai on the same day. Could anyone please suggest the fastest most comfortable way to return to Shanghai. Need to do this on Tuesday afternoon 20/11/07.
Thanks
Caron Hansen
Pure Enchantment :)

Re: Nantong to Shanghai

Postby jwhahn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:41 am

Both Nantong and Shanghai have airports but there is no airplane flying between the two cities. So the only fastest and comfortable way back to Shanghai is to take a chartered bus from any bus station in Nantong. There are lots of buses running between Nantong and Shanghai, likely 5-10 min a bus. You don't need to book a ticket. Just get to the station and buy a ticket from a ticket window. The distance between two cities is around 150 km but the bus may take 2-3 hours as you need to wait on the Yangtze River bank to land on a ferry.

Or you can rent a car and drive back to shanghai. Be aware: you have to have a valid driver license issued by Chinese authority.
jwhahn
Gongjue / Duke

Postby clair07 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 am

Caron,

Agreed with jwhahn! There is no flight and no direct train communicating between two cities (only train available is the indirect train that needs to reach Nanjing, headign to the west, first then back to Shanghai, heading back to the east, take at least 10 hrs). I guess, this situation may last till the Shanghai-Chongming-Qidong Yangtze River bridge opens to public in 2008(?). Taking a bus is the quickest way for you to Shanghai. The Nantong Long Distance Bus Station has more than 50 buses running between the two cities daily and there are very confortable buses. Ask anybody available when you are in the meeting if you need to reserve your seat and the ticket price may be 50 rmb or about.
clair07
Baijue / Earl

Postby gest » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:25 am

a ferry is an alternative, it may take 6-8 hrs.
gest

Postby nickistin » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:56 pm

My suggestion is to hire a nicer cab and I consider it is the fastest and the most comfortable way you want. A bus seems to be a good option but you have to rush to a bus station, wait there to board,... after all you need to find a cab to take you to hotel or home. They waste a lot time. Moreover, you have to be careful as most buses are OK but some are lower standards, out of fashion, dirt, cold, no air circulation or heat, not safe, etc.

If the finance is not a problem, I guess 300-400 rmb or around, hiring a limo (more expensive) or nicer cab would be the best fit to your demand. But the cabby needs a license to allow him to take customers to Shanghai.
nickistin
Zijue / Viscount

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 pm

If just for a day and back, find a driver to take you there. Buses are a hassle but cheap. Time between the 2 cities is 3 hours, includes the ferry across the Yangtze. Cost for driver for a day including waiting time should be around rmb1,000, pretty cheap by western standards.

Buses leave from 2 locations in Shanghai:

1. From Long distance bus station in north square of the shanghai train station - evry 15 minutes or so. Buses from here can be a little old and decrepit. These buses take you to Nantong long distance bus station.

2. From Shanghai indoor stadium near Xu jia hui - the bus station is by the one day tourist bus station. Buses here take you to Nantong Hotel (nan tong da fan dian). These buses leave Shanghai at 8.05, 9.30, 13.00, 19.00. Go back to Shanghai at 8.00, 13.00, 15.00, 17.00. These buses are nicer but are regularly sold out unless you get there early.
Bob

Postby nnc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:24 am

is any buses from pudong airport??
nnc

Postby starking73 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 am

I am in Nantong right now. I took a bus from the Shanghai General Bus station and spent almost 4 hours to reach Nantong. I could not found the bus station in Xiu Jia Hui. There is not buses from Pudoing. Try to find the one Bob mentioned in his email. Otherwise there is hassles for bad bus.
starking73
Baijue / Earl

Postby guest » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:12 pm

A great news:

Sutong Yangtzi Bridge, between Changsu city of Suzhou to Nantong, will offically open on April 18, 2008. It will save about a half hour to cross the Yangtzi River between Nantong and Shanghai/Suzhou. The bridge is only a highway bridge.

Postby starking73 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:45 am

a bridge, directly between Nantong and Shanghai, Shanghai-Chongming-Qidong Yangtze River bridge, will open in 2009 but not 2008. it is a direct way and the fastest way between them.
starking73
Baijue / Earl

Next

Return to Questions and answers