Suzhou park recommendations?

Post a question about Suzhou, its people, its culture, its entertainment, its food and any other stuffs you want to know!

Suzhou park recommendations?

Postby du.gronberg » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:43 pm

I was just back from Hangzhou and am heading to Suzhou for a business/tour trip around mid October. I've heard there are tens of attractive sites in Suzhou I need to visit, parks, temples, gardens, etc. I want to get a general idea from anyone of you about those places which I may put on my must go list. 2 or 3 would fit better for my schedule. I got lots of free entries in Hangzhou but Suzhou seems different I've heard. Plese let me know and thanks a lot!
du.gronberg
Esquire

Re: Suzhou park recommendations?

Postby jennwfinch » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:04 pm

My recommendations for 2 sites:
Guanqian Street, a walk street for shopping, touring and entertainment, free entry. it may take you a day.
Humble Administration Garden, it represnets Suzhou's classic gardens, no needs to see other ones in a tight schedule.
jennwfinch
Houjue / Marquess

Postby clair07 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:56 am

add Zhouzhuang, a nearby watertown, to your list.
clair07
Baijue / Earl

Postby tipss » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:09 pm

many parks look like the same and i could not see real differences :) ;)
tipss

Postby du.gronberg » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:52 pm

I've heard suzhou parks always charge entrance fees. But in Hangzhou many of them seem tourist-friendly and entry is free, and you save.
du.gronberg
Esquire

Postby clair07 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 am

Yeap, Suzhou parks and garders charge a lot of cash for entering, and I've heard this is one of the city's strategies to minimize tourists to protect these old gardens. cool? maybe ;) :( :o
clair07
Baijue / Earl

Postby iamsaying1 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:28 am

clair07 wrote:Yeap, Suzhou parks and garders charge a lot of cash for entering, and I've heard this is one of the city's strategies to minimize tourists to protect these old gardens. cool? maybe ;) :( :o

however it scares off tourists as well and does some damage to the city's reputation
iamsaying1
Houjue / Marquess

Postby gusted » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 am

I have been to Zhouzhuang last year, a fantastic wather town, but I've heard some others: Tongli, Luzi. Are they better than Zhouzhuang?
gusted

Postby yaowei » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:41 pm

gusted wrote:I have been to Zhouzhuang last year, a fantastic wather town, but I've heard some others: Tongli, Luzi. Are they better than Zhouzhuang?

Haven't been there physically. But all of those are characterized with flowing water and little bridges, sort of things, I'm afraid. :mrgreen:
yaowei
Nanjue / Baron

Postby Patricia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:43 pm

You could try going into the provinces website. There is a guide about Suzhou with a few tips on the parks, gardens and water towns near by.
www.tastejiangsu.com
Patricia

Next

Return to Questions and answers